Adventure Travel Designer & Tourism Development
Raven Rocks Resources
January 1997 – Present
Adventure travel design and development for older individuals and small groups seeking transformative adventure, cultural and educational travel experiences.
- Services include identifying and choosing the kinds of adventure or active excursions that meet personal goals and levels of fitness and stamina; creating customized itineraries; finding specific services and products—transport, accommodations, guides and local assistance; planning and preparing for an adventure—including choosing gear and clothing, journaling, contingencies, security and emergency contacts; selecting appropriate travel insurance.
- Services also include working with host destinations—travel and tourism operators and community-level organizations—to design and develop adventure-focused products and services for older, active travelers using the Tourism Assessment Process (TAP) and offering workshops and presentations.
University of Maryland University College
June 1972 – June 2017
- Taught anthropology/archaeology courses, focusing on field trips and beyond-the-classroom learning experiences.
- Served as distance education Curriculum Specialist and Content Reviewer on ISD teams for Web-based, voice mail and blended courses (distance learning/ combined with lecture).
- Taught online and classroom-based courses on management, organizational change and behavior, knowledge management, and telework management; designed case studies and projects focused on travel and tourism management issues.
- Trained and mentored faculty to teach via distance education technology.
- Served on the Undergraduate Programs Advisory Council and as faculty representative to the Chancellor’s Symposium on Policy and Distance Education.
Adventure Travel Consultant
Crystal Mountain Treks
January 2003 – November 2013
- Provided consulting services to high-growth Nepalese trekking and touring operation.
- Developed, helped implement, and evaluated new customer products and programs focused on older trekkers and intergenerational itineraries.
- Advised on and review web marketing implementations.
- Designed and developed staff training, orientation, and team building.
- Researched and wrote articles and marketing pieces on company’s offerings.
Museum Management Consultant
International Mountain Museum, Pokhara, Nepal
- Advised board members on strategic development, focusing on identification of museum competitors, best practices, potential external funding sources, collections management and exhibition planning and implementation during three-day site visit and meetings.